Thursday, July 19, 2012

The MBTI

Is anyone here interested in the MBTI? (Myers Briggs Type Indicator)
I sure am. For those of you who don't know what it is, I would simply describe it to you as a personality test of which 4 letters are given as a result. The first letter is either E or I, the second is either S or N, the third is either T or F, and the last letter a P or J.

I read about the MBTI a lot in my spare time. A lot of you will just think of it as a personality test with little meaning, because the interpretation of the test results are generalized and can fit just about everyone, but I find it really accurate and have seen patterns in the lives of the people around me in accordance with their results.
If you want, you can go find the test online. There are many versions of it, and some may yield different results especially if English isn't your native language. (I get the same result every time though.) Reading and interpreting your results can be quite fun. :)
The MBTI is closely related to many other personality theories, but I'll try to keep it simple.
There are 16 possible combinations and they are:
INTJ
ENTJ
INTP
ENTP
INFJ
ENFJ
INFP
ENFP
ISTP
ISFP
ESFP
ESTP
ISTJ
ISFJ
ESFJ
ESTJ
You don't have to read the links above btw, unless you've taken the test and are interested in your own type. I myself am an INTJ. Probably the type most hated and admired at the same type. (Or well, maybe ESTJ is the most hated. The way democratic governments are normally run is very ESTJish, and people hate the government. LOL)

Anyway, I was talking about patterns along with the results right? Right. Well since I'm majoring in Psychology, I've had to take a personality psychology class. (And so did my classmates and the Psychology majors from the other classes) And we've all been made to take the MBTI, and I pretty much memorized the results of the people around me. What I've noticed is, there are certain personality types that I can NEVER seem to get along with. It drives me crazy just talking to them! (I don't wanna mention these types to avoid people getting offended, but if you're really curious you can PM me and I'll tell you.)
And there are some types that I can't help but get along with. If you guessed those types to be those with an NT in their result, you guessed right. Everyone I know with an NT in their result, I can get along with, and a majority of them are friends of mine. (Because getting along with someone doesn't necessarily make them my friend.) There's also the assumption that some types are more attracted to each other than others, and some research says relationship satisfaction is higher between people with more similar test results (especially when the 2nd letter S, or N is the same.) I'd say it's subjective, but correlated nonetheless.

So if you guys are interested, you mind taking the test? Ask your friends to take the test too. Look at the results, refute or help conclude these assumptions. It'd also be nice to learn a bit more about yourself no? And hey, if there are any INTJs out there and can't stand people of a certain type too, mind telling me? I wanna know if I'm all alone here or not. :P

This is Carl Jung, who contributed a lot to the MBTI. He's also my favorite Psychologist.


Random thought:
So I was reading the bible recently (not really, I just saw a picture online) and was wondering...
There's that verse in Genesis that says God took a rib from Adam and created Eve out of it. I never really... understood how that worked.

2 comments:

  1. with the bible thing. god only made adam. then he thought adam was lonely so then yeah he just took his rib and then poof theres eve lol. it suppose to mean equality since its not above and not below but in the middle. and i was looking at some articles and sometimes, but not most of the time theres a rib that men have thats shorter than womens ribs or something its like wow god really took a rib from adam.

    I took that test already, but i forgot again what my result was

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were ESFP. Opposite of me, just remember yo. :P

      Delete